Advanced Placement Exams
*Registration for 2019 AP Exams Has Closed*
CASTRO VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
2019 ADVANCED PLACEMENT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS AND STUDENTS
***Please note that the process outlined below is for end-of-year AP Exams and is not related to the course request process to enroll in AP classes at CVHS.
Students enrolled in AP courses are highly encouraged to take the AP exam. With qualifying AP Exam scores, students can earn credit, advanced placement, or both at a majority of colleges and universities. Please note the policy regarding issuance of college credit is determined ONLY by the college or university a student applies to and will vary among institutions. Individual colleges and universities, not the College Board or the AP Program, grant course credit and placement.
AP Exam testing dates at Castro Valley High School are May 6-10 and May 13-17, 2019.
- AP registration is online at www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/050500 from February 6th to February 27th.
- Registration windows and costs are as follows:
- 2/6/19, 5:00PM Total Registration site opens with price of $110
- 2/13/19, 7:30PM Price increases to $120
- 2/20/19, 7:30PM Price increases to $130
- 2/27/19, 7:30PM Total Registration site closes
- The cost of each AP exam for students approved for financial assistance is $5 for CVHS students--*be sure to indicate financial need during registration.
- Exams may be offered to non-CVHS students if space permits (this will be determined through the waitlist process). Non-students will be charged an additional $25 proctor fee on top of the cost associated with when they initially register ($135-$155). Non-students are encouraged to create a profile on the test registration site and request test(s) that they are interested in. Non-students will be automatically waitlisted so that we can review if we have enough space during the registration windows. If there are additional spaces available for the requested test(s), you will be notified and prompted to submit payment.
The online registration process eliminates the need to manually input student information in a lengthy pre-administration meeting. However, the delivery of student packs as well as the need to highlight specific information will require a short meeting for all test takers. The preadministration times and dates will be communicated and will take place in the two weeks prior to the start of the testing window.
For any questions regarding registration for AP exams, please visit the College Board website, http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/students/index.html or call Mr. McMaster at 510-537-5910 extension 3809.
Special Circumstance Procedures
Early testing is not permitted under any circumstances.
Late/alternate testing is not permitted for senior class trips, assemblies, family vacations or family graduations.
Alternative Testing details:
- If a student is ill, an alternate test will be arranged if the illness occurs prior to administration of the exam and the student has a doctor’s note.
- If the student is in school the day of the exam, they will be expected to take the exam.
- A $55 fee may be charged for each alternate exam--this will depend on the reason.
- You will need to communicate with Mr. McMaster in House 3 immediately if an alternate test is required.
Occasionally, extreme circumstances may make it necessary for a particular exam to be administered late to an individual student or a group of students. Only students affected by these circumstances may test late; everyone else must take the exam at the set time on a regularly scheduled date.
The College Board develops alternate forms of each exam that are used only for late testing. All students who participate in late testing at a given school must take these alternate exams on the scheduled alternate testing dates at the scheduled times. Early testing is not permitted under any circumstances.
When the cause of late testing is generally beyond the control of the school and the students, there is no additional fee for using the alternate forms of the exam. In other instances, however, where the school or students have a choice between testing on the scheduled date and requests for alternate date, the school is billed an additional $55 per student for each exam to partially defray costs.